[Bloat] Large decrease in speed needed to combat bufferbloat?

Alec Robertson alecrobertson13 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 04:21:55 EDT 2016

I'm on a TalkTalk FTTC connection in the UK, with a sync speed of
58976Kbps, via a Billion 8800NL in bridge mode to my TP-LINK Archer C7
(currently running LEDE r1348) with sqm-scripts 1.0.7-1 and
mod-sched-cake 4.4.15+2016-06-29-747..5-1.

I have selected cake as the qdisc and piece_of_cake.qos as the queue setup
script.

I've managed to get bufferbloat under control, with only 3-4ms of added
ping when downloading but I've had to set the ingress to 43000, reducing my
speed not hugely but more than I might have expected.

On the upload side I'm syncing at 10422Kbps and the egress is set to 9300,
so not quite as bad. Bufferbloat here is also under control, at maybe 2-3ms
when downloading.

Is there anything I can do to reclaim more of the download speed? How can I
diagnose this?

The other question I would like to ask is, what's the absolute best way to
see what the ping maximum actually is? With speedtest.net the ping only
increases 1-2ms (pinging bbc.co.uk) and the same is true for dslreports.com
(maybe a little bit higher, maximum of about 5ms) but on the dslreports.com
site it says 9ms+ at times?

Thanks.
--
Alec Robertson