[Bloat] How to "sell" improvement

Jonathan Foulkes jf at jonathanfoulkes.com
Sun Dec 4 11:08:21 EST 2016

Hear, hear, the concept of having ‘simulators’ for typical heavy modern web pages is exactly what we need to get across the benefits of lowered bloat having a larger impact on page-load performance than ‘speed’.
Those simulated pages should report total page load time and maybe even how many objects we’re ‘missed’ due to bloat induced issues.

These sites can then be recorded as they perform on various types of lines and bloat and allow for a really impactful before/after video to be produced.

Here are my suggestions for candidate ‘sites’:

News Site front page, with mix of uniquely fetched text areas and images. Also, dozens of ad-like payloads sourced from multiple domains.
News ‘content’ can actually be a bunch of educational material on Bloat, why waste an opportunity to further the message ;-)

Shopping site with tons of images and other smaller payloads, generating >300 requests.
Again, content can be designed to further our message.

What do we need to do to move this forward?

I have an experienced graphic designer and web-master that I can direct to help with some of the content and creative work.
But what we need first is some agreement on general scope and then a technical framework to achieve the desired outcome.

Cheers,

Jonathan