[Bloat] 22 seconds til bloat on gfiber?

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 00:40:53 EST 2016

> On 27 Oct, 2016, at 23:17, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
>
> I do have problems coming up with scenarios where you need more than a gig.

As long as typical consumer PCs have GigE ports and nothing (reliably) faster, more than 1Gbps at the last mile will be a tough sell.  That should be obvious.

In fact, there are few home applications where >1Gbps matters even over the LAN.  This I think will keep GigE as the typical standard for individual PCs for the foreseeable future.

That’s not to say it’s *impossible* to sell 4Gbps or 10Gbps connections.  You could do it by bundling a multi-port switch with a sufficiently fast uplink port, and sell it as “a full gigabit for each of N computers”.  The most obvious customers to target might be apartment complexes or entire villages, who could share such a connection over a large number of users and defray a relatively high installation cost.

 - Jonathan Morton