[Bloat] 22 seconds til bloat on gfiber?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Dec 7 02:05:34 EST 2016

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016, Jonathan Morton wrote:

> That’s not to say it’s *impossible* to sell 4Gbps or 10Gbps connections.
> You could do it by bundling a multi-port switch with a sufficiently fast
> uplink port, and sell it as “a full gigabit for each of N computers”.
> The most obvious customers to target might be apartment complexes or
> entire villages, who could share such a connection over a large number
> of users and defray a relatively high installation cost.

I believe this is what Comcast is doing for their 2 gigabit/s service, and
why Netgear released their X10 with SFP+ uplink.

I've been told Comcast does SFP+ handoff, and this device seems to be
tailor made for use with such a service.

Otoh it seems that 2.5GE and 5GE is going to be a thing in the not so
distant future, I've been told 2017 will see shipping products for this
that will be at a better price point that 10GE is currently at (which
means quite expensive).

So I imagine we'll be seeing high end "home routers" with built in L2
switches that have 1/2.5/5GE support to cater for this market in 2017.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se