[Bloat] TCP BBR paper is now generally available

Alan Jenkins alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 12:03:11 EST 2016

On 07/12/2016, Steinar H. Gunderson <sgunderson at bigfoot.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 04:28:15PM +0000, Alan Jenkins wrote:
>> Since no-one's explicitly mentioned this: be aware that SSH is known for
>> doing application-level windowing, limiting performance.
>>
>> E.g. see https://www.psc.edu/index.php/hpn-ssh/638
>
> Hm, I thought this was mainly about scp, not ssh?
>
> But yes, hpn-ssh is a sad story; maintenance has been very up and down over
> the years, and there's no end in sight for an upstream merge.
>
> /* Steinar */
> --
> Homepage: https://www.sesse.net/

Sorry, I meant to check the dates as well.  I see now this is old, I
don't know myself whether it is still relevant or not.

I'm sure there was a window at the SSH level.  It looks like SFTP had
a window on top of that

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/flow-control.html

I'm not certain if the same applies to the use of SCP, and if so which
layer(s) had the biggest problem.

Alan