[Bloat] fq_codel settings for 25/3 connection?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 14:19:59 EST 2016

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:06 AM, John Klimek <jklimek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anybody have any suggested quantum/target values for a cable modem connection of 25/3?  (25 Mbps down, 3 Mbps up)

I would use a quantum 300 for the up. There is no need to fiddle with
the target values below 2.5mbits.

The edgerouter has issues with tcp offloads enabled. If you are not
using the other ports as routed ports, you can disable gro offloads on
all ports for lower latency at a huge cost in local bandwidth (this is
something that cake will fix if we can get ubnt to ship it one day.
http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/codel/wiki/CakeTechnical )

> It looks like the defaults for Ubiquity EdgeRouter should work but I'm not sure if I can achieve better performance by tuning anything?

Make a change, measure with a good benchmark like flent's rrul test.

> Also, should I enable fq_codel on my downstream or only my upstream?

Both are severely overbuffered on cablemodems and CMTSes running at this speed.

http://burntchrome.blogspot.com/2014/05/fixing-bufferbloat-on-comcasts-blast.html

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/sqm