[Bloat] review: Deployment of RITE mechanisms, in use-case trial testbeds report part 1

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Sun Feb 28 16:27:21 EST 2016

Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> writes:

>>> Oh, and of course HAS is in itself a hack to work around badly managed
>>> queues in the network. In a nicely fairness queued world, we could do
>>> away with HAS entirely and just, y'know, stream things at the desired
>>> rate...
>
> Perhaps I'm missing something -- how do you to pick the right rate for
> a given user?

Congestion control? With something like fairness queueing that keeps
bandwidth very stable at the fair share, you could conceivably get away
with a much shallower playback buffer in the application and stream at
something very close to real time, rather than using the chunk-based
retrieval of HAS.

However, that remark was mostly meant to be tongue-in-cheek... not sure
if there exists any really good congestion control algorithms for
real-time video.

-Toke