[Bloat] Getting started with sqm-scripts - latency good, bandwidth decimated

moeller0 moeller0 at gmx.de
Wed Jan 20 07:25:14 EST 2016

Hi Alan,

> On Jan 20, 2016, at 13:06 , Alan Jenkins <alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> No offense to your work on sqm-scripts.

	None taken ;) I really just want to use the opportunity to a) get Brandon up and running and b) fix any short-comings on sqm-scripts on the way.

> 1) It's just in case the problem is *outside* of sqm-scripts, it could be useful to try the minimum commands necessary to demonstrate the problem.

	I fully agree.

>  Maybe it's unfair but I assumed running on a PC is also a less tested case, as well as the "firewall on a stick" part.

	You are spot on, both are rather exotic test cases at least as far as reports go; that is what intrigues me even more ;)

> Equally, since AFAICT Brandon hasn't had a working AQM setup on this box before.  It could be useful if the Gentoo script works, to prove that AQM + fq_codel can work correctly on Brandon's box.

	I guess since we just thought sqm-scripts to allow verbose debugging output (into a log file) I thought it is time to advertise that feature ;)

> If the Gentoo script _wasn't_ working, that's when I'd suggest tearing it down e.g. to eliminate fq_codel as an issue.  Rather than specify fifo explicitly, just don't run the fq_codel command (assuming that actually does something sensible, which can be checked using `tc qdisc`).
>

> 2) More specifically, you didn't mention trying "simplest.qos". This would i) simplify the setup we're trying to debug, and ii) it might show if there's a bug with the more complex bandwidth calculations / assignments in "simple.qos”.

	Oh, you had mentioned that already and I fully agree that getting a simple test cases going is going to help a lot. So we violently agree ;)

> And again - I suggest starting by checking `tc class show dev eth0.666`, because it's not a 100% obvious command, and we don't want to miss if there are bad rates there :).

	Again, I fully agree, I guess I should have mentioned that I have no genuinely new advice but rather just recommendations for slight variations on the way. Sorry for muddying the water here.

Best Regards
	Sebastian