[Bloat] Getting started with sqm-scripts - latency good, bandwidth decimated

Etienne Champetier champetier.etienne at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 11:47:54 EST 2016

Hi Brandon,

> > On Jan 20, 2016, at 11:10 AM, Brandon Applegate <brandon at burn.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > I’m getting more confused as I go on :)
> >
> > So I’ve rebooted and the tc classes seem to have come back.  Since this
> is Ubuntu 12.04 - it doesn NOT have systemd.  I mention this because I see
> there is a systemd config in the sqm-scripts package.
> >
> > I have not added any hooks to run 'sqm start’ - neverthless - I have all
> the rules seemingly there on a fresh boot.  I also have a new ‘interface’ -
> ifb4eth0.666.  Since I’ve never messed with tc - I have no idea
> how/where/what is ‘saving’ these rules and making them persistent.  I’m
> struggling to use google and grep -ir to see where Ubuntu is saving this.
> >

> I see that the install for sqm-scripts puts a script in:
>
> /etc/network/if-up.d
>
> This is where my ‘persistence’ is coming from.
>
> Sorry for the machinegun postings guys - I’m just underprepared to dig
> into tc.  My world is usually iptables, routes, etc.  Never worked much
> with tc and the unfamiliarity is frustrating me.
>
> Having said that - I can see that this is excellent work.  I’ve had it on
> my todo for a while to reinstall the firewall with Ubuntu 14.04.  This will
> bring a lot of utilities and tools forward version wise and give me a
> better starting point.  I’m aware that I’m coloring outside the lines a bit
> to make this work as it stands.
>
> Thanks for everyone’s patience and time so far.

I've quickly read the thread (maybe too quickly),
from what i remember for virtual interface txqueuelen is 0 by default, so
nothing work as expected
can you check the txqueuelen with ip -a ?
(i've found no reference to txqueuelen in sqm-scripts)

see also
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/packet.scheduler/packet.scheduler#tips

Regards
Etienne