[Bloat] decentralized web conference next wed-thur in San Fran

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 11:11:54 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 5:03 AM, Dirk Kutscher <Dirk.Kutscher at neclab.eu> wrote:
> Hi Dave and all,
>
> JFYI, there is related activity in the IRTF on this:
> https://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/blockchain-federation

LF is also co-ordinating a significant investment into blockchain technology.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/announcements/2016/02/linux-foundation-s-hyperledger-project-announces-30-founding

But I don't think the blockchain is core to distributing the web.

Brewster has a vision that he articulated here:

http://brewster.kahle.org/2015/08/11/locking-the-web-open-a-call-for-a-distributed-web-2/

and things like ipfs are running code today, and things like ccn
continue to evolve. People are using bittorrent to distribute all the
science articles in the world, also, (from scihub, which is fighting
takedown issues left and right) - I was surprised to see so many
seeders of 36TB of data - but I suppose some really, really do want to
have their own copy of all the published knowledge of the world.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11093779

Should be a fun conference!

http://blog.cerowrt.org