[Bloat] decentralized web conference next wed-thur in San Fran

Dirk Kutscher Dirk.Kutscher at neclab.eu
Wed Jun 8 05:54:15 EDT 2016

Hi Dave,

> LF is also co-ordinating a significant investment into blockchain technology.
>
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/announcements/2016/02/linux-
> foundation-s-hyperledger-project-announces-30-founding
>
> But I don't think the blockchain is core to distributing the web.

Yes, I agree. The word "blockchain" in the URI is a relict from a meeting where distributed Internet/Web was discussed in a blockchain application context (assuming that digital contracts between non-trusting parties would be useful).

> Brewster has a vision that he articulated here:
>
> http://brewster.kahle.org/2015/08/11/locking-the-web-open-a-call-for-a-
> distributed-web-2/
>
> and things like ipfs are running code today, and things like ccn continue to
> evolve. People are using bittorrent to distribute all the science articles in the
> world, also, (from scihub, which is fighting takedown issues left and right) - I was
> surprised to see so many seeders of 36TB of data - but I suppose some really,
> really do want to have their own copy of all the published knowledge of the
> world.

Yes, interesting developments. We are currently planning for another meeting around these topics (distributed/federated web, links to ICN) at the Berlin IETF (will be announced on din at irtf.org).

Cheers,
Dirk