[Bloat] Questions About Switch Buffering

Benjamin Cronce bcronce at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 21:07:42 EDT 2016

I'm not arguing the an AQM isn't useful, just that you can't have your cake
and eat it to. I wouldn't spend much time going down this path without
first talking to someone with a strong background in ASICs for network
switches and asking if it's even a feasible. Everything(very little) I know
about ASICs and buffers is buffering is a very hard problem that east up a
lot of transistors and more transistors means slower ASICs. Almost always a
trade-off between performance and buffer size. CoDel and especially Cake
sound like they would not be ASIC friendly.