[Bloat] ultrafast broadband conference june 27-30

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 04:04:04 EDT 2016

On 13/06/16 18:05, Dave Taht wrote:
> Is anyone going to this? I sure hope the g.fast technologies have
> their uplink bloat fixed, at least.

Dave,

(Been trying to send this for the past few days unsuccessfully; perhaps
the DNS gremlins caused it to bounce. Now sending via gmail).

As I'm sure everyone here knows DSL uses interleaving in order to
achieve coding gain in the face of impulse noise. DSL has to operate in
environments that are rich in such noise so although it is possible to
turn interleaving off pretty much every operator has it on, if for no
other reason than to avoid IPTV artefacts.

This does not meet at least my understanding of the definition of
bufferbloat, in that interleaving introduces a static amount of latency
(i.e. latency that does not vary with load).

But it's perhaps also not what you were talking about because you
mentioned the uplink. Not sure what you meant. Still, other than the use
of ATM and coding I'm not aware of buffering in DSL. Certainly no
dynamic buffers that absorb traffic under load.

Could you enlighten me? I know that you're a busy man; a few keywords
for me to stick into google would be great.

Thanks, Jan