[Bloat] [aqm] review: Deployment of RITE mechanisms, in use-case trial testbeds report part 1

Ingemar Johansson S ingemar.s.johansson at ericsson.com
Thu Mar 3 07:13:33 EST 2016

Hi

Thanks for the pointer to the RITE paper, will read it carefully.
Some comments on HAS or DASH
The HAS behavior when subject to different AQMs and other competing background traffic, depends heavily the rate control algorithm.
Investigations we have done and also e.g. the Netflix papers and lately also the BOLA paper (link below) shows that rate based algorithms are more easily starved out by competing traffic than the buffer level based algorithms. The bufferbased algorithms (Netflix, BOLA) are more opportunistic and TCP is more allowed to work like large file downloads when the links are fully utilized. Rate based algorithms on the other hand can more easily end up in a vicious circle, a low download rate is detected, so the next segment requested is with a reduced rate, other traffic will grab a larger share, and this repeats itself until the lowest rate is reached.
This is elaborated upon in the paper "A Buffer-Based Approach to Rate Adaptation: Evidence from a Large Video Streaming Service" by Te-Yuan Huang et.al.
I don't have full insight how MS Silverlight operates so I cannot quantify it is rate based or buffer based.

BOLA : http://arxiv.org/pdf/1601.06748.pdf

/Ingemar