[Bloat] anyone have info on the netflix speed test (fast.com)?

jb justin at dslr.net
Wed May 18 22:59:27 EDT 2016

I had a quick look, it just does some parallel XHR fetches over port
80 from their server, which at least ( for me ) was not located at my
nearest amazon/netflix POP, but is located in the USA at a 200ms ping
time, so the speed reading was slow to ramp up, and lower than it
should be.

They instrument it and collect info but only report the download speed
to the user in megabits. I'm following a topic in neogaf in which
various people are running it, and it either gives about the same
result as speedtest.net or a lessor result (probably if the user is
further from california).

They may start adding local servers or may not. It doesn't measure or
report latency or upload speed or anything else. Its main virtue is
the short domain name, and that it starts immediately on page load,
and finally because it is quite simple, it has wider browser
compatibility.