[Bloat] [bbr-dev] Re: "BBR" TCP patches submitted to linux kernel

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Nov 2 05:27:08 EDT 2016

On Tue, 1 Nov 2016, Yuchung Cheng wrote:

> We are curious why you choose the single-queued AQM. Is it just for the
> sake of testing?

Non-flow aware AQM is the most commonly deployed "queue management" on the
Internet today. Most of them are just stupid FIFOs with taildrop, and the
buffer size can be anywhere from super small to huge depending on
equipment used and how it's configured.

Any proposed TCP congestion avoidance algorithm to be deployed on the
wider Internet has to some degree be able to handle this deployment
scenario without killing everything else it's sharing capacity with.

Dave Tähts testing case where BBR just kills Cubic makes me very
concerned.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se