[Bloat] bufferbloat at high edge rates

Stefan Alfredsson stefan.alfredsson at kau.se
Wed Nov 16 01:00:16 EST 2016

I had the same problem, getting no bloat report. I tested just now
running as root, and got bloat measurements in
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/6166098 and
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/6166295

 From Firefox, I get somewhat higer latency (~100 ms) versus ~20-60 ms
via the command line client:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/6130740
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/6130727
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/6130708
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/6130690

Two things to note:

- Firefox tests were run yesterday at around lunchtime  (~12.00 CET),
and CLI tests just now (~06.40 CET). So time-of-day effect may be a
reason for less bloat now. I'll do a better comparison when I get to my
desktop.

- CLI tests were run in a docker container, for security purposes. I
used host networking so it should not have affected measurements much,
but still. This was how it was executed:

// downloaded the dslreports cli tool to my host /tmp directory, mapping
/tmp to /host in the debian container

$ docker run --rm -t -i -v /tmp:/host:ro debian

root at db0ea060caa7:/# apt-get update ; apt-get install ca-certificates
[... snip ...]
root at db0ea060caa7:/# /host/dslrcli-linux-amd64
Selecting nearest servers....
Download Testing.....
Upload Testing.....
Uploading results...
Download : 883.56 Megabit/sec Upload : 895.32 Megabit/sec
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/6166098

A better option would be using CAP_NET_RAW, I'll see if this works
instead of running with full root privs.

/Stefan