[Bloat] fixing bufferbloat in 2017

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Tue Nov 22 11:38:58 EST 2016

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 11:25 AM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 22/11/16 16:32, Dave Taht wrote:
> >> What's left to do?
> >
> > Furthering adoption of the code that contains the bloat-related
> > improvements.
> >
> > In my view, the single biggest potential contributor towards driving
> > such adoption would be for Ookla to start measuring and reporting
> > bufferbloat, thereby putting it on the agenda of both end users and
> > carriers (who use Ookla's servers to qualify equipment in their labs).
> > That would in turn put it on the agenda of equipment manufacturers.

​May not matter too much longer...​

> We've been after ookla for years. Samknows, also. The FCC, too. But
> how to raise awareness further? An open letter? A petition to the
> white house? A press release?
>
> Until then, there's always dslreports and a few other sites.

​Comcast has/is funding development of an open source speed test, and the
intent is to
have a bufferbloat test in it.

Several ISP's are on board with it in addition to Comcast and are helping
too.

You can improve the code...  I can dig up the link if someone is hot to
trot.
Right now, we're discussing how to license the code, however.  I don't know
what the final
outcome of that will be.
​

> I would like to see the industries most affected by bufferbloat -
> voip/videoconferencing/gaming,web gain a good recognition of the
> problem, how to fix it, and who to talk to about it (router makers and
> ISPs)

​Getting cellular manufacturers to understand would also be a good thing,
IMHO.
                                               - Jim
​