[Bloat] fixing bufferbloat in 2017

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Nov 23 12:31:38 EST 2016

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016, Benjamin Cronce wrote:

> If there is a simple affordable solution, say Open/DD-WRT distro based
> bridge that all you do is configure your up/down bandwidth and it
> applies Codel/fq-Codel/Cake, then all you need to do is drive up
> awareness. A good channel for awareness would be getting in contact with
> popular Twitch or YouTube gaming streamers. But I wouldn't put much
> effort into driving up awareness until there is a device that people can
> easily acquire, use, and afford. At first I was thinking of telling
> people to use *-WRT supporting routers, but changing the firmware on
> your router requires too much research, and many people care about
> bleeding edge features. You need something that works in tangent with
> whatever they are using.

If Comcast sells you 100/20 (I have no idea if this is a thing), you set
your upstream on this box to 18 meg fq_codel, and then Comcast
oversubscribes you so you only get 15 meg up part of the time, then you're
still bloated by the modem. This is not a solution.

I don't think "buy $thing, install *WRT on it, configure it like this" is
above most gamers, but I'm afraid we don't even have a working solution
for someone with that kind of skillset.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se