[Bloat] fixing bufferbloat in 2017

David Lang david at lang.hm
Wed Nov 23 12:54:38 EST 2016

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> If Comcast sells you 100/20 (I have no idea if this is a thing), you set
> your upstream on this box to 18 meg fq_codel, and then Comcast
> oversubscribes you so you only get 15 meg up part of the time, then you're
> still bloated by the modem. This is not a solution.
>
> I don't think "buy $thing, install *WRT on it, configure it like this" is
> above most gamers, but I'm afraid we don't even have a working solution
> for someone with that kind of skillset.

perfect is the enemy of good enough

stop trying for perfection, you will never be able to address all problems.

But we already have several options that would address the very real problems
people are having if they could just be deployed.

you don't even need to use cake and worry about what your uplink bandwidth is if
you can just use fq_codel on the real edge device. The fact that it is almost
impossible to buy a router that has a DSL interface on it, so you have to try to
artificially move the bottleneck is a problem.

Deploy what we already know to work on the real edge devices and things get
vastly simpler.

David Lang