[Bloat] COTS router with OpenWrt

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 14:56:22 EST 2016

> On 26 Nov, 2016, at 16:08, Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> His "secret sauce" is an auto-update facility and improved setup software, which includes a rate-detection step that operates continually to adjust the fq_codel parameters to the actual line rate. You can take a look at IQrouter.com, or look them up on Amazon.
>
> This might be a solution to our current conundrum about not having an easy solution that solves our family's networking problem. I'm going to get one of these and try it out.

Excellent.

He’s using DSLreports for the quality testing, which is always a good sign.  After turning off my webcache, I get a nice “A” grade over here while running through my custom Cake setup, and a big fat “F” grade with Cake turned off.  Just as it should be, given my connection.

With the webcache left on, though, I just get errors, not results.  That might be something to get fixed.

I think we can rally around this device, if it works as well as advertised (and it should).  I know of a handful of well-placed people who could potentially try out and endorse it, but I would like to see some of us trying it out before I involve them.

 - Jonathan Morton