[Bloat] COTS router with OpenWrt

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Mon Nov 28 12:40:18 EST 2016

Jonathan Foulkes <jf at jonathanfoulkes.com> writes:

> Hi Dave, a special thanks to you for all the cheerleading and pushing you do on this topic.
>
>> I hope that your marketing campaign is being successful on these
>> fronts. It has always been my goal to "enable better products", but
>> not have the headache of making them myself, where 99.99% of the
>> effort is (like in cerowrt), in making everything else "just work" and
>> be reliable enough to ship.
>
> I haven’t ramped up the marketing in a big way yet, but what I am
> doing is quite effective (e.g. click through metrics are 5 to 10x the
> norm); what’s been most astonishing is the word of mouth spread.
>
> Yes, lots of effort in having a reliable, supportable product.
>
> As you can see from the site, my messaging has been focused on regular
> end users, using terminology they can hopefully grasp (I get accused
> of both being too technical and not technical enough, so maybe I got
> it right ;-)
>
> One area of messaging that I believe members of this list could
> provide input on is around how to get people to understand that
> ‘speed’ (line capacity) is not everything. I keep looking for ways to
> address that and wrote a short post on it:
> http://evenroute.com/the-last-50-feet/quick-vs-fast

Well, there's Stuart's classic rant from two decades ago (which is on
the technical side):
http://www.stuartcheshire.org/rants/Latency.html

On the less technical side, there's this video from the RITE project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1a-eMF9xdY

And this one that nicely showcases latency, but then draws the wrong
conclusion (that you need more bandwidth to fix it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fNp37zFn9Q

-Toke