[Bloat] COTS router with OpenWrt

Jonathan Foulkes jf at jonathanfoulkes.com
Mon Nov 28 12:16:35 EST 2016

Hi Dave, a special thanks to you for all the cheerleading and pushing you do on this topic.

> I hope that your marketing campaign is being successful on these
> fronts. It has always been my goal to "enable better products", but
> not have the headache of making them myself, where 99.99% of the
> effort is (like in cerowrt), in making everything else "just work" and
> be reliable enough to ship.

I haven’t ramped up the marketing in a big way yet, but what I am doing is quite effective (e.g. click through metrics are 5 to 10x the norm); what’s been most astonishing is the word of mouth spread.

Yes, lots of effort in having a reliable, supportable product.

As you can see from the site, my messaging has been focused on regular end users, using terminology they can hopefully grasp (I get accused of both being too technical and not technical enough, so maybe I got it right ;-)

One area of messaging that I believe members of this list could provide input on is around how to get people to understand that ‘speed’ (line capacity) is not everything. I keep looking for ways to address that and wrote a short post on it: http://evenroute.com/the-last-50-feet/quick-vs-fast

I’ll post more thoughts on the other thread you started.

- Jonathan