[Bloat] Large decrease in speed needed to combat bufferbloat?

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Thu Oct 20 13:57:28 EDT 2016

I suspect you're seeing a decrease in the speed of data into a sink, not
a decrease in end-to-end speed. Measurement results can often be
puzzling here (;-))

My description of the situation is:

- an infinite (or just bloatily large) queue will accept data at just
about any rate you offer it, and keep it around until the service centre
can process it, which is in our case is the other end of the network
link getting it. If the queue only reports ingress, it will show really
large values, sometimes well above what the link can ever handle.  (Some
folks report those rates as a marketing feature. I'm not sure that's
exactly kosher (;-))

- a queue processes the same amount of data per unit time when latency
is at a minimum as it does when it's at a maximum, so normal queues
should be tuned for minimum latency.

- in TCP, there is a cost in retransmissions when we use drops to signal
the sender that they've sent too much, so it's best to keep your rate
just below the rate at which you get drops. That maximizes throughput
for a given small latency.  TCP does this automatically when not
bloatified, and on average stays really really close to the maximum
speed of the channel.

- buffers are really good to smooth out brief stoppages or bursty
senders, but have to be kept nearly empty to be able to do that, and
then drained quickly when they get filled.

--dave (processing an email queue while waiting for a compile) c-b