[Bloat] Large decrease in speed needed to combat bufferbloat?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Oct 21 00:39:37 EDT 2016

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016, Alec Robertson wrote:

> I've managed to get bufferbloat under control, with only 3-4ms of added
> ping when downloading but I've had to set the ingress to 43000, reducing
> my speed not hugely but more than I might have expected.

I personally think that aiming for 3-4ms of bloat is excessive for the
applications we see today. Most of the time you're not going to notice
10-20ms bloat even when using quite time sensitive applications, and that
10-20ms PDV range is probably a better tradeoff between performance and
potential interactive performance downside.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se