[Bloat] 22 seconds til bloat on gfiber?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 21:45:40 EDT 2016

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 6:33 PM, jb <justin at dslr.net> wrote:
> This example takes about 6 seconds to get all the uploads running as
> they are staged, and then each upload takes a while to get to full speed
> because that is a function of  the senders TCP stack. So the smoothed
> total transfer rate lags as well, and the whole thing doesn't start to bloat
> out until we get to max speed.
>
> There is an upload duration preference that can increase the total time
> upload or download takes but people already have no patience and
> close the tab when they start seeing decent upload numbers,
> so increasing it just makes the quit rate higher still. For the quitters
> we get no results at all, other than they quit before the end of the test.

I agree that waiting that long is hard on users, and that since it
takes so long to get to that point, it will take a lot of work for a
gfiber user to stress out the connection, on a benchmark... but in the
real world, with a few users on the link, not so much.

400-1000ms latency when loaded counts as an "F" grade, in my opinion.
Perhaps doing the grade calculation only when the link is observed
near max bandwidth achieved (say, half)?

There are of course, other possible reasons for such bloat, like the
browser falling over, I wish I had a gfiber network and routing device
to test against.

Is there any way to browse
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/results/isp/r3910-google-fiber for
like the last 20 results to see if this is a common behavior on gfiber
for longer tests?

http://blog.cerowrt.org