[Bloat] 22 seconds til bloat on gfiber?

Jonas MÃ¥rtensson martensson.jonas at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 12:57:37 EDT 2016

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 7:50 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se>
wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Oct 2016, Dave Taht wrote:
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/5408767
>>

> What's the setup here? Someone has told me that Google Fiber is PON? So
> there is an ONT at the customer prem which takes fiber and hands off some
> kind of 1GBASE-T? What more?
>
> Just trying to figure out what device has ~13-15 megabyte buffer so it can
> induce 1200ms buffer lag at 1 gigabit/s.

Of course I don't know the setup in this particular case but from what I've
heard, gfiber is mostly GPON with 1:16 splits. They have used different ONT
versions but the "current" generation seems to be a custom ONT from an ODM:

https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/6035992?hl=en&ref_topic=2667450
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Google_Fiber_Jack_v2_(GFLT110)

Also, this may be interesting:

https://gfiber-review.googlesource.com/#/c/1232/