[Bloat] 22 seconds til bloat on gfiber?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Oct 26 11:36:57 EDT 2016

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016, Jan Ceuleers wrote:

> What I mean is that the OLT optics become very expensive if you need to
> support as many lambdas as you have customers. You'd furthermore need an
> OLT port for much fewer customers (e.g. 1 port per 64 or 128 customers)
> than the thousands you can support on a (shared) GPON port on a single
> lambda.

That only works if your customers don't use their Internet access very
much. If they do, you're in trouble and have to rebuild.

In my market, we're now in the access speeds where 100/10 is on the lower
end of access, and it's not uncommon for people to have 250, 500 or 1000
downstream. If they then actually start using their bw then you'd have to
rebuild to either go higher speed for some CPE (complicated and
expensive), or rebuild to have smaller splitter domains.

I guess the answer depends a lot on your cost of labour.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se