[Bloat] 22 seconds til bloat on gfiber?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Oct 27 16:17:48 EDT 2016

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016, Dave Taht wrote:

> interactive, once basic bandwidth needs are slaked, which starts to
> happen once you crack the largest typical load (which these days is 4k
> video streaming).
>
> gbit fiber is *way* on the unneeded side of the demand curve for home users.

I can make up credible scenarios where a home with 4-5 people would need
200-300 megabit/s of reliably available bandwidth, plus downloading
something large, then you can make use of a gig. So not "way" unneeded.

I do have problems coming up with scenarios where you need more than a
gig.

> which kind of points out that you need business users to use it all up.

Business users actually use *less* bw than residential. People typically
don't watch 4k video streams at work.

Btw, what does that report say? I don't want to spend money on it.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se