[Bloat] sch_fq pacing rate: Xbps, but at which layer in the network stack?

Eric Dumazet eric.dumazet at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 14:00:44 EDT 2017

On Thu, 2017-04-13 at 20:12 -0700, Aaron Wood wrote:
> When I was testing with my iPerf changes, I realized that the sch_fq
> pacing (which in iperf is set via setsockopt()), is pacing at a
> bandwidth that's set at a pretty low level in the stack (which makes
> sense).  This is different from the application pacing that iperf does
> (which is pacing the goodput).
>

> But it's not clear to me where the X bps determination is being made.
> My current guess is that it's at the interface level (since that's
> where sch_fq is), and so it's approximately "bytes on the wire", minus
> preambles and inter-packet spacing, and whatnot.  And so it's
> including all the 802.x headers involved (vlan tags, qos tags,
> source/dest macs, etc).  Is this correct?

Like other qdisc having rate limits (TBF, HTB ....), FQ sees packets
with all headers (including Ethernet one)

This is why the default quantum is 3028, which is exactly 2 regular
Ethernet frames (MTU=1500 + 14 bytes of Ethernet header)

If you have VLAN tag, it is generally not included in the calculation,
as many devices provide 'hardware tagging'.