[Bloat] [Make-wifi-fast] benefits of ack filtering

Bob McMahon bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com
Fri Dec 1 16:17:59 EST 2017

802.11 acks are packet or ampdu driven while tcp, being a byte protocol,
acks bytes.  Aligning these may not be straightforward.  We test with
different read() rates on the wifi clients as TCP is supposed to flow
control the source's writes() as well.  Wifi clients are starting to align
their sleep cycles with "natural" periodicity in traffic so having larger
aggregates can help both peak average throughput as well as power
consumption.  It's not obvious with Wifi that a faster RTT is always
better.  (Reminds me of the early days of NASA where many designed to
reduce weight without keeping in account structural integrity, shave a few
grams and lose a rocket.)

Bob