[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] DC behaviors today

Joel Wirāmu Pauling joel at aenertia.net
Mon Dec 4 04:31:00 EST 2017

I'm not going to pretend that 1Gig isn't enough for most people. But I
refuse to believe it's the networks equivalent of a 10A power (20A
depending on where you live in the world) AC residential phase
distribution circuit.

This isn't a question about what people need, it's more about what the
market can deliver. 10GPON (GPON-X) and others now make it a viable
service that can and is being deployed in residential and commercial
access networks.

3 years ago delivering an access network Capable of anything beyond
2.5Gbit was pretty much a Business case non-starter.

The problem is now that Retail Servicer Provider X can deliver a post
Gigabit service... what is capable of taking it off the ONU/CMNT point
in the home? As usual it's a follow the money question, once RSP's can
deliver Gbit+ they will need an ecosystem in the home to feed into it,
and right now there isn't a good technology platform that supports it;
10GBase-X/10GBaseT is a non-starter due to the variability in home
wiring - arguably the 7 year leap from 100-1000mbit was easy It's mean
a gap of 12 years and counting for the same.. it's not just the NIC's
and CPU's in the gateways it's the connector and in-home wiring
problems as well.

Blatant Plug - request :
I'm interested to hear opinions on this as I have a talk on this very
topic 'The long and Winding Road to 10Gbit+ in the home'
https://linux.conf.au/ at Linuxconf in January. In particular if you
have any home network gore/horror stories and photos you would be
happy for me to include in my talk, please include.

-Joel
on the tweeters: @aenertia