[Bloat] Linux network is damn fast, need more use XDP (Was: DC behaviors today)

Joel Wirāmu Pauling joel at aenertia.net
Mon Dec 4 15:49:43 EST 2017

On 5 December 2017 at 06:00, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The route table lookup also really expensive on the main cpu.
>
> To clarify the context here, I was asking specifically if the X5 mellonox card
> did routing table offlload or only switching.

To clarify what I know the X5 using it's smart offload engine CAN do
L3 offload into the NIC - the X4's can't.

So for the Nuage OVS -> Eswitch (what mellanox calls the flow
programming) magic to happen and be useful we are going to need X5.

Mark Iskra gave a talk at Openstack summit which can be found here:

https://www.openstack.org/videos/sydney-2017/warp-speed-openvswitch-turbo-charge-vnfs-to-100gbps-in-nextgen-sdnnfv-datacenter

Slides here:

https://www.openstack.org/assets/presentation-media/OSS-Nov-2017-Warp-speed-Openvswitch-v6.pptx

Mark's local to you (Mountain View) - and is a nice guy, is probably
the better person to answer specifics.

-Joel