[Bloat] benefits of ack filtering

Luca Muscariello luca.muscariello at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 07:39:57 EST 2017

If I understand the patch well, the ack filter is actually fixing the
problem of ACK compression only.
Because it is enforced on packets in the queue only. It is stateless.

ACK compression would happen even w/o highly asymmetric access links by
just
having concurrent data streams with ack streams.

So, IMO, the patch is harmless per se in all  cases.
ACK compression is harmful though and the patch fixes it.

Background on ACK compression:

Lixia Zhang, Scott Shenker, and Daivd D. Clark.
Observations on the dynamics of a congestion control algorithm: the effects
of two-way traffic.
acm sigcomm 1991.