[Bloat] [Make-wifi-fast] benefits of ack filtering

David Collier-Brown davecb.42 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 12:17:48 EST 2017

On 04/12/17 10:44 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
>> In a previous life I did some work on the optimization (by remote
>> proxying) of the SMB protocol used by Samba [...]  Eventually we said
>> the heck with it, and sat Samba on top of a different protocol entirely,
> The audience are waiting with held breath for more details.
>
> -- Juliusz

They aren't discussable in polite company. Way too much cursing (;-))

Joking aside, that was definitely a case where we said "don't go
there".   To the best of my knowledge, there are two network
optimization products that do SMB, so it's physically possible.  In our
opinion, it was better to use the SMB protocol locally and a different,
cached,  protocol over a wide-area network.  I actually prototyped it
with Solaris NFS and cachefs, and was pleasantly surprised it worked for
a single-writer case.

--dave