[Bloat] I wrote a blog entry about devices I know of out there...

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Feb 3 16:15:21 EST 2017

> On Feb 3, 2017, at 21:11, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2017, Rich Brown wrote:

>>> I've got a VMG4325-B10A and it's horrific, still running a 2.6 kernel. I routinely have several seconds of buffering on my upload. according to the Zyxel site, the 4380 has a coax connection.
>>
>> Yes, that's why it makes sense to stick LEDE in series with the Zyxel, to let LEDE handle the queueing.
>
> the trouble is that to do this, you have to set the outbound speed well below the actual speed, and when you only have 2Mb to start with…

	Why? I have been using XDSL lines with great succes with SQM set to 100% of the actual sync bandwidth and accounting for all known overhead. This worked so well without induced bufferbloat that I even caught my ISP temporarily adding a VLAN tag to my line; the added 4 bytes made buffer bloat re-appear (I confirmed with re-measuring the overhead, increasng the sqm overhead by 4 also got rid of the bufferbloat). With ingess, sure one needs to stay well below the line speed, but egress on ADSL is pretty much solved. Unless the DSLAM’s uplink is congested, then all bets are off…

Best Reagards
	Sebastian