[Bloat] speed - on dslreports?

Jonathan Foulkes jf at jonathanfoulkes.com
Tue Jan 10 17:15:07 EST 2017

The speed ‘-‘ is a recent change, as the user now needs to click the ‘Set Speed’ so the grading can be relative to the actual line provisioning. BTW- Only registered users can set that.

On my 12mbps Windstream DSL line, I get this result:
https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/8700714

So an A for bloat but an F for speed, guess 12 is not the highest one can get on DSL (24Mbps is max), so half that and then minus the SQM QoS headroom (set for 10Mbps down) an actual measured 8.3 rates an F <shrug>

The D rating for ‘Quality’ bothers me, as it’s largely a side effect of the AQM pushing back to keep bloat down, and average people don’t get that, they just think they have a sucky line.

However, this line supports a house full of devices (60+) and two active work from home hight tech people, it can stream in HD any time of day or night and VoIP performance is excellent. FB never stalls and big news sites load quickly and completely. So from a user perspective, this 12Mbps DSL line is an A considering it’s DSL.

We really need a way to grade quality of experience.

- Jonathan