[Bloat] how much delay is too much delay

Jesper Dangaard Brouer brouer at redhat.com
Fri Jan 13 06:30:20 EST 2017

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 12:02:00 +0100 (CET) Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/user/xFPxAUTh0r1ty
>
> This channel analyses several online games and how they work networkwise.
> It seems online games typically "tick" at 30-60Hz in that the game server
> and user application communicates this often. 60Hz seems to be the "golden
> standard", and I guess resolution of 17ms is fine for when things are
> happening.
>
> In gaming they have multiple delay components, one is "input delay" which
> relates to the time it takes from you for instance press the mouse button,
> until the game shows that it has responded by showing you result on
> screen. It seems this is typically 40-60ms, because the game needs to
> handle the input, send data to the graphics card, which needs to render
> it, and then it needs to be sent to the monitor. There are of course a lot
> more than this, but you get the idea.

(watched the video)
I love the way he measures the delay by recording the screen with a
high speed camera, and then correlate mouse-button activation by a
visual red-blink (some PC-local setup/app) and counting the frames
until the movement happen in the game.

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer