[Bloat] [ALU] [aqm] The Impact of Active Queue Management on DASH-based ContentDelivery

Francini, Andrea (Nokia - US) andrea.francini at nokia-bell-labs.com
Tue Jan 10 12:37:22 EST 2017

It looks like tcp_slow_start_after_idle was not disabled in the experiments. If this is indeed the case, it would be interesting to see what happens when the option is disabled at the server, so that the transmission of a new chunk can start at a generally faster rate. 4K video makes this option even more relevant, especially when RTT is large.

With tcp_slow_start_after_idle disabled, the fq_nocodel scheme of Toke's study (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2015.07.014) would also be good to evaluate, especially with a total buffer size much larger than BDP: DASH does not suffer from self-inflicted delay as much as it does from packet losses, and empties its dedicated queue in between video chunks.

Andrea