[Bloat] Initial tests with BBR in kernel 4.9

Eric Dumazet eric.dumazet at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 17:12:05 EST 2017

On Wed, 2017-01-25 at 23:06 +0100, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 05:01:04PM -0500, Neal Cardwell wrote:
> > Nope, BBR needs pacing to work correctly, and currently fq is the only
> > Linux qdisc that implements pacing.
>
> I really wish sch_fq was renamed sch_pacing :-) And of course that we had a
> single qdisc that was ideal for both end hosts and routers (especially since
> some machines act as both).

Well, pacing is optional in sch_fq.

Only the FQ part is not optional.

So sch_fq is actually a proper name ;)

I have on my plate few things :

1) Add a fallback to actually do pacing in TCP itself, if it detects no
pacing happens in a qdisc. This would be okay for devices that have very
few local TCP flows (eg a router)

2) Add (optional) pacing to fq_codel. But this would come later.