[Bloat] Recommendations for fq_codel and tso/gso in 2017

Eric Dumazet eric.dumazet at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 09:59:59 EST 2017

On Fri, 2017-01-27 at 15:49 +0100, Sebastian Moeller wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> quick question from the peanut gallery: on a typical home router with
> 1Gbps internal and <<100Mbps external interfaces, will giant packets
> will be generated by the 1Gbps interface (with acceptable latency)? I
> ask, as what makes sense on a 1000Mbps ingress link, might still block
> an 20Mbps wan egress link slightly longer than one would like (to the
> tune of 50ms, just based on the bandwidth ratio?).

It depends if the switching on the 1Gbps involves the linux cpu or not.

If switching is not passing around packets through linux stack, or you
have a single station using the 1Gbit interface to the home router,
then probably GRO is not needed at all.

Also, we have ways to control packet sizes quite easily, stacking a
virtual device before the 100Mbit external interface, as shown by this
thread.

bond0 - external0

If you disable TSO on bond0, GRO packets will automatically be segmented
(Dave calls that peeling) before reaching external0 qdisc.

So using a bonding is probably the way, leaving GRO enabled in internal0
1Gbit (or 10Gbits soon ?) interface.