[Bloat] passive network delay monitoring utility

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Tue May 23 15:22:03 EDT 2017

Those of you who have not looked at pping should do so.

See: http://pollere.net/pping.html for a description, and look at the
slides linked to on that page.

In particular, it would be sweet to run this on a home router, as you can
monitor latency simultaneously in either direction.  Then we can point a
finger properly at the ISP or at the WiFi in the home network (encouraging
either/both to get fixed).

Anyone interested in undertaking such a project with me, please drop me a
note.

The only downside is that pping is a C++ app, which makes it big for a home
router, so it can't be used on old small home routers due to footprint
issues; but many current home routers would have space for it.

                                                 - Jim