[Bloat] Tuning fq_codel: are there more best practices for slow connections? (<1mbit)

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Thu Nov 2 16:31:41 EDT 2017

Hi Yutaka,

> On Nov 2, 2017, at 17:58, Y <intruder_tkyf at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>
> Hi ,Moeller.
>
> Fomula of target is 1643 bytes / 810kbps = 0.015846836.
>
> It added ATM linklayer padding.
>
> 16ms plus 4ms as my sence :P
>
> My connection is 12mbps/1mbps ADSL PPPoA line.
> and I set 7Mbps/810kbps for bypass router buffer.

	That sounds quite extreme, on uplink with the proper link layer adjustments you should be able to go up to 100% of the sync rate as reported by the modem (unless your ISP has another traffic shaper at a higher level). And going from 12 to 7 is also quite extreme, given that the ATM link layer adjustments will cost you another 9% of bandwidth. Then again 12/1 might be the contracted maximal rate, what are the sync rates as reported by your modem?

> I changed Target 27ms Interval 540ms as you say( down delay plus upload delay).

	I could be out to lunch, but this large interval seems counter-intuitive. The idea (and please anybody correct me if I am wrong) is that interval should be long enough for both end points to realize a drop/ecn marking, in essence that would be the RTT of a flow (plus a small add-on to allow some variation; in practice you will need to set one interval for all flows and empirically 100ms works well, unless most of your flows go to more remote places then setting interval to the real RTT would be better. But an interval of 540ms seems quite extreme (unless you often use connections to hosts with only satellite links). Have you tried something smaller?

> It works well  , now .

	Could you post the output of "tc -d qdisc" and "tc -s qdisc please" so I have a better idea what your configuration currently is?

Best Regards
	Sebastian