[Bloat] generic tcp - window scaling limits

Matthias Tafelmeier matthias.tafelmeier at gmx.net
Mon Nov 6 16:02:05 EST 2017

> Erm, what exactly are you trying to show here?
I wanted to generically isolate the 'geometry' to expect when scaling
the TCP advertising mem limits. And I must say, it looks a little
askant. Might worth a look at the data structures there. Parallelizing
socket buffers would be rather application specific, I guess. Hm ...

> As far as I can tell from
> the last (1-flow) plot, you are saturating the link in all the tests
> (and indeed the BDP for a 1Gbps with 2ms RTT is around 250kb), which
> means that the TCP flow is limited by cwin and not rwin; so I'm not sure
> you are really testing what you say you are.
That's correct. Excuses for that one, I was decepted by the latency
plots where I surmised to perceive the (reno ~ cubic) saw-toth and the
virtualisation was adding a tbf instance on one of the links. All that
perfectly explains why I wasn't influencing bandwith at all.

> I'm not sure why the latency varies with the different tests, though;
> you sure there's not something else varying? Have you tried running
> Flent with the --socket-stats option and taking a look at the actual
Reran/updated (including --socket-stats) everything and that's now way
more comforting. There are not such performance rifts anymore as
perceived beforehand - 'no low hanging fruit'. For the per link/peering
tuning I mentioned, that's appearing to be more application specific
logic (syscall based) then I'd amend.

Thanks for having had a look.

--
Besten Gruß