[Bloat] DETNET

Bob Briscoe ietf at bobbriscoe.net
Sun Nov 12 14:58:26 EST 2017

Matthias, Dave,

The sort of industrial control applications that detnet is targeting
require far lower queuing delay and jitter than fq_CoDel can give. They
have thrown around numbers like 250us jitter and 1E-9 to 1E-12 packet
loss probability.

However, like you, I just sigh when I see the behemoth detnet is building.

Nonetheless, it's important to have a debate about where to go to next.
Personally I don't think fq_CoDel alone has legs to get (that) much better.

I prefer the direction that Mohamad Alizadeh's HULL pointed in:
Less is More: Trading a little Bandwidth for Ultra-Low Latency in the
Data Center <https://people.csail.mit.edu/alizadeh/papers/hull-nsdi12.pdf>

In HULL you have i) a virtual queue that models what the queue would be
if the link were slightly slower, then marks with ECN based on that.
ii)  a much more well-behaved TCP (HULL uses DCTCP with hardware pacing
in the NICs).

I would love to be able to demonstrate that HULL can achieve the same
extremely low latency and loss targets as detnet, but with a fraction of
the complexity.

*Queuing latency?* This keeps the real FIFO queue in the low hundreds to
tens of microseconds.

*Loss prob?* Mohammad doesn't recall seeing a loss during the entire
period of the experiments, but he doubted their measurement
infrastructure was sufficiently accurate (or went on long enough) to be
sure they were able to detect one loss per 10^12 packets.

For their research prototype, HULL used a dongle they built, plugged
into each output port to constrict the link in order to shift the AQM
out of the box. However, Broadcom mid-range chipsets already contain
vertual queue hardware (courtesey of a project we did with them when I
was at BT:
How to Build a Virtual Queue from Two Leaky Buckets (and why one is not
enough) <http://bobbriscoe.net/pubs.html#vq2lb> ).

*For public Internet, not just for DCs?* You might have seen the work
we've done (L4S <https://riteproject.eu/dctth/>) to get queuing delay
over regular public Internet and broadband down to about mean 500us;
90%-ile 1ms, by making DCTCP deployable alongside existing Internet
traffic (unlike HULL, pacing at the source is in Linux, not hardware).
My personal roadmap for that is to introduce virtual queues at some
future stage, to get down to the sort of delays that detnet wants, but
over the public Internet with just FIFOs.

Radio links are harder, of course, but a lot of us are working on that too.

Bob