[Bloat] Steam In Home Streaming on ath9k wifi

Caleb Cushing xenoterracide at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 17:03:51 EST 2017

> Right, no idea how Windows drivers behave. But odds are that the
> bottleneck is at the client, since that often has worse antennas than
> the AP. If you're in a position to take packet captures at both clients
> and AP you may be able to figure it out; may require tightly
> synchronised clocks to do properly, though.

I could try running wireshark on both, it's a ton of packets, and I'll be
honest, I don't know that *I* would know what to do with them.

> How do you see the latency spikes? An end-to-end ping? You could try
> pinging the AP from both clients and see which one sees the latency
> spike...

steam homestreaming has an in game performance monitor, it shows you your
ping, estimated bandwidth, and how fast it's currently streaming. So when
the game stutters I also notice a recorded ping/latency increase. Sadly
though, it doesn't include highly detailed logs to my knowledge.

Yeah, those are link-layer retransmissions. The ath9k driver sometimes
> retries individual packets up to 30 times, which is obviously way too
> much...

that's fun...
--
Caleb Cushing