[Bloat] Bufferbloat in high resolution + non-stationarity

Martin Geddes mail at martingeddes.com
Sat Nov 25 15:23:54 EST 2017

Hi Dave,

The data was being taken from general network traffic from multiple opcos
for a tier 1 global network operator. The task wasn't to fix or improve
anything, but to merely establish the baseline quality of the network as-is.

What is different about these metrics is the ability to extract the
underlying causality, and to be able to (de)compose complete supply chains
in a scientific manner (that would stand up in court). If you can capture
timing data of the same packet passing multiple probing points, then you
can use preexisting measurement capture systems. What matters if getting
multi-point distributions, rather than single-point averages.

The inherent limitation of AQM is its goal: constructing exemplars of
"success modes" for differential flow treatment, without considering what
the "failure mode" risks are (which are significant and serious). That
said, it prolongs the life of the current infrastructure, buying time to
address the underlying science and engineering issues (like work
conservation, emergent performance outcomes, and loss/delay trading that
conflates degrees of freedom).

It doesn't matter what scheduling algorithm you build if it creates
arbitrage or denial-of-service attacks that can arm a systemic collapse
hazard. The good news is we have a new class of scheduling technology (that
works on a different paradigm) that can fully address all of the
requirements. We are currently deploying it to enable the world's first
commercial quality-assured broadband service.

Martin