[Bloat] Bufferbloat in high resolution + non-stationarity

Martin Geddes mail at martingeddes.com
Mon Nov 27 18:16:03 EST 2017

Hi Toke,

The two critical references are this paper
<http://www.pnsol.com/public/TP-PNS-2003-09.pdf> and this PhD thesis
<https://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/pubs/2003/1892/>. The former describes
"cherish-urgency" multiplexing. The "cherish" is what is different to
today's scheduling. It is used to create a new class of algorithm whose
goal is global optimisation, not local optimisation (and global
pessimisation).

The latter describes a paradigm change from "build it and then reason about
emergent performance" to "reason about engineered performance and then
build it". It works in practise
<http://www.martingeddes.com/how-wales-got-the-first-internet-fast-lane/>,
so whether it works in theory is left as an exercise to the reader.

The first step is to get the measurement right. I'm running a public workshop
in London on 8th Dec <http://scientificnetwork.management>, and I am happy
to accommodate anyone from this list at our internal cost.

Everyone working on AQM has done the best possible within the paradigm they
are operating. There is a bigger box of possibilities available, but it
needs you to engage with a paradigm change.

Martin

*About me <http://martingedd.es> Free newsletter
<http://eepurl.com/dSkfz>* Company
website <http://www.martingeddes.com/> Twitter
<https://twitter.com/martingeddes> Zoom <https://zoom.us/j/5043587162> My
new start-up <http://justright.network> Not LinkedIn
<https://medium.com/@martingeddes/linkedin-or-lockedin-why-i-deleted-my-account-and-maybe-you-should-too-8cad40a0ea68>
 Martin Geddes Consulting Ltd, Incorporated in Scotland, number SC275827
VAT Number: 859 5634 72 Registered office: 17-19 East London Street,
Edinburgh, EH7 4BN