[Bloat] benefits of ack filtering

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Wed Nov 29 04:34:08 EST 2017

Well, ACK filtering/thinning is a simple trade-off: redundancy versus bandwidth. Since the RFCs say a receiver should acknoledge every second full MSS I think the decision whether to filter or not should be kept to the enduser and not some misguided middle boxes; if a DOCSIS ISP wants to secure precious upstream bandwidth they should at least re-synthesize the filtered ACKs after passing their upstream bottleneck IMHO. This is not reasonable network management in my irrelevant opinion unless actively opted-in by the user. Or put differently the real fix for DOCSIS ISPs is to simply not sell internet connections with asymmetries that make it impossible to saturate the link with TCP traffic without heroic measures like ack filtering.
So I am all for cake learning to do that, but I am 100% against recommending using it unless one is "blessed" with a clue-less ISP that has problems calculating the maximal permissible Up/Down asymmetry for TCP...
BTW, I believe older TCPs used the reception of an ACK and not the acknowledged byte increment for widening their send/congestion windows, ack filtering should make slow start behave more sluggish for such hosts. As far as I can tell linux recently learned to deal with this fact as GRO in essence will also make the receiver ACK more rarely (once every 2 super-packets), so linux I think now evaluates the number of acknoledged bytes. But I have no idea about windows or BSD tcp implementations.

Best Regards