[Bloat] Bufferbloat in high resolution + non-stationarity

Neil Davies neil.davies at pnsol.com
Thu Nov 30 07:31:04 EST 2017

The key design goal was to create assured bounds on loss and delay for designated classes during extended periods of load saturation.

The mechanisms, to some extent, are not the issue - the ability configure it and know a-prori (to a given error bound) what would happen to the traffic flows was our primary goal.

The key point we found as we did this work is (as you remark below) that current systems don’t mange the two degrees of freedom that is present in every queueing system, whereas this one does. As anyone who has done any control theory will tell you that is the first essential step to being able control.

We note that what queueing mechanisms do (with respect to application’s performance outcomes) is share the delay and loss (which occurs when the queueing system is non-empty) between the flows that are in competition at the moment in time - this is what this mechanism does.

If you want a larger evaluation, including what needs to be done when transmission capacity changes (as in 3G/4G/5G etc) take a look at http://www.pnsol.com/public/TP-PNS-CS-2005-11.pdf <http://www.pnsol.com/public/TP-PNS-CS-2005-11.pdf> - it is a much richer scenario and provides some strong motivation for why just managing to bandwidth (and speed) is probably not the right goal for many emerging use cases.

Cheers

Neil